We want to take a moment to introduce our soon-to-come family member, Dusk.
Dusk is our body and hair oil that will be available for pre-order on July 23rd, which is the founder's birthday (HOORAY!). But, we wanted to give you a little education on what Dusk is and what the name came from, why we've developed it, and what a body oil can specifically do for you.
With our products, we wanted to set the theme to things that make the founder reminisce on her childhood and upbringing in South Carolina. SC is a beautiful place and a state that has the most beautiful backdrop when it comes to love stories. As you know, the famous movie, the Notebook, was shot in the Charleston area of South Carolina. To pay homage in a way to my home state, I named Ode to Self's line of products to reflect on the elements of SC that evoke euphoric memories living in the Palmetto state while growing up there.
Dusk came from the sunsets in the summer that I experienced as a kid and how they often resembled romance as a teen into my high school and college years. It reminds me of slowing down, the world pausing as I'm enjoying the humid nights, and everything just seems glow - skin, smiles, eyes, love - life itself. For the body oil, I thought that naming it Dusk was fitting because of the nostalgic feeling that crept up on me as said the name and envisioned the body oil.
Dusk contains several, star, organic oils that derive from Brazil to Africa. The nature of these oils are to repair, heal, hydrate, and defend. Those ingredients, like our other products, are all brought together to work synergistically in order to provide the maximum amount of benefits that they have to offer, especially for drier, sensitive skin and healing skin ailments such as eczema, psoriasis, stretchmarks, and more.
Let's look at the key ingredients in Dusk, as outlined below and what they're able to do:
- Cape Chestnut possess natural sunscreen properties, which is used by the African women of the Maasai tribe to protect their skin from the harsh heat that they face.
- Buriti fruit oil is rich in Vitamin A, which is a naturally occurring SPF factor to protect against harmful UV rays.
- Pequi Oil contains a potent amount of Vitamin C and known as "God's nectar" due to its firming, elastic, healthy, and supple skin properties--higher than the amount of oranges and lemons.
- Manuka helps to help scars and promotes generation of scar tissue and may inhibit the effects of skin inflammation caused by UV rays.
- Vitamin E is a natural antioxidant and helps to improve elasticity in the skin. It has been proven to fight free radicals which ages the skin prematurely due to sun damage and UV damage, dry skin, and simple aging as you grow and get older. Vitamin E helps to slow the aging process of your skin's cells.
The remaining ingredients are Maracuja oil, also known as Passion Fruit oil, Marula Oil, and Squalane. These oils are easily absorbed by the skin and deeply penetrates without leaving an oily residue. Squalane is one of the ingredients that's found in our De Palma Facial Oil as "squalene", which is it's main form, is produced by our own skin. Thus, our skin readily absorbs squalane and helps to regulate sebum production to reduce oiliness in the skin. Most people stay away from body oils because they believe it'll make them feel oily. That's simply not the case, as oils contain the fats, protein, and vitamins that our skin craves that simply lotions and water alone cannot fulfill.
Additionally, it's a known fact that oil cannot penetrate water. However, applying water before an oil can help to lock moisture into the skin, as oils aid in transepidermal water loss, or simply put, TEWL. This is to help keep water in the skin's cells, which is imperative to the skin's functionality. Oil molecules are bigger than water, hence the reason as to why oil cannot penetrate water and often suggested to be the last step in your skincare routine.
Dusk is amazing at moisturizing the skin without feel greasy, while working to protect the skin from harmful UV rays and inhibits damaging free-radicals. I encourage you to try out Dusk as a sample for just $3.00. You'll love it, and it's a staple that is needed for both the summer and colder months ahead.